Shri Shivaji Mofut Education Society Kandhar, was formed on the auspicious day of Shiv Jayanti, in the year 1948. Kandhar is a Taluka place, situated in the hilly region of Nanded District. The society opened Chatrapati Shivaji Boarding to feed the poor students from villages and Tandas. Thereafter the society opened several high schools, prominent among themare Shivaji Mofut High school Kandhar and Sant Gadage Maharaj Mofut High School Loha, for which the then Govt. of Hyderabad had issued letter of appreciation mentioning therein the services of Hon’ble Dr. Keshavraoji Dhondge, is commendable.
The society embarked upon the task in bringing legal education to the rural area where students learn law in a different environment while studying the law in class room they also interact with rural litigants who are illiterate and badly needed legal help either free or at nominal fees. In fact Dr. Keshavraoji Dhondge (Honoris causa) who enrolled himself as a law student in I.L.S. Law College of Pune way back in fifties and have to leave midway determinedly opened Shri Shivaji Law College Kandhar on 15th June 1993, and enrolled himself as first Law Student of this college.
The genesis of Shri Shivaji Law College Kandhar thus lies in the foresight of
Dr. Keshavraoji Dhondge, Veteran Freedom Fighter, Great Educationalist, Journalist, Legislator and Litterateur.
The Government’s permission to establish Law College at Kandhar is the result of assurance given by the then Minister of law and Justice Hon’ble Shri Ramraoji Adik on the floor of house during fiscal session of the house. The College is indebted to the Bar Council of India, New Delhi who accorded necessary approval in due course and also Dr.Babasahed Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad and Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded for granting its affiliation to the college.
The unique feature of Shri Shivaji Law College Kandhar in those days was the only Law College situated at Taluka Place in the rural and hilly area. Shri Shivaji Mofut Education Society Kandhar has been serving in this region imparting education in various fields to the masses.
Shri Shivaji Mofut Education Society provided six acres of prime land exclusively for the Law College. The Law College is having office building, Principal’s room, Class rooms, library and play ground. The proposed construction of extension of building with all facilities is in progress.
The College library has more than 7077 Titles of worth Rupees 26,20,546/-. The college has well qualified and experienced teaching and administrative staff. The college is included under sec. 2(f) and 12(b) of University Grant Commission Act, 1956 & assessed by NAAC , Banglore in 2004.